So when I started this blog it was really to feature the nails I was doing as part of my self-care routine. Self-care is basically things that we can do to take care of ourselves, recharge our batteries (emotionally and physically) and nurture ourselves. It can include relaxing things, fun things, and even just doing things you know you need to do to be your best self even if you don't feel like it (like taking a shower, eating, doing laundry, etc.).
In the mental health field we talk a LOT about self-care, but sometimes it feels a bit like just a buzz word. Something we say without really thinking about, and something we don't really reflect on as much as we should.
In the interest of supporting you, my readers, to focus a little bit on self-care (while also working to support myself!) I've started this new little series of things you can do to help take care of yourself. Today I want to focus on little routines or actions you can do to incorporate nails into your self-care, and if you have other ideas or things you do for yourself I'd love to hear about them in the comments!
So grab a cup of tea, click the link below, and choose something you'd like to do just for yourself (and your nails!) later today..
10 Ways Relax and Take Care of Yourself
with Nail Art and Nail Care
1. Massage a scented cuticle oil into your nails and cuticles one finger at a time, taking your time and being aware of how healthy it makes your cuticles look and how nice the fragrance is.
3. Go for a casual stroll to the nearest shop or pharmacy and let yourself pick out a new shade of polish to bring home with you.
4. Reorganize your polishes in a way that is aesthetically pleasing to your eye - by bottle shape, by colour, by brand, whatever you want.
5. Use a luxe or moisturising creme on your hands and arms, massaging it in.
6. Take some time to doodle out and colour some nail art designs on paper. (You can get some templates here!)
7. Paint your nails one at a time and remind yourself of a positive experience or strength you possess with each nail.
8. Reshape your nails or tidy up their regular shape with a nail file, go one nail at a time and don't rush yourself.
9. Use a buffing block and buff your nails one at a time until they have a natural shine - but be careful not to over buff! Just softly run the buffer up and down your nails in one direction, from roughest to softest grit.
10. Make a mani soak or purchase a mani bomb or mask to pamper your nails and hands, put it in a bowl and relax while watching some Netflix. :)
So those are my top 10 go to activities for nail-related self-care. Honestly painting my nails slowly with a favourite colour is one of my favourite things to do when I just need a time out or want to calm down a bit. That repetitive motion can just be so relaxing, and painting my nails has even been known to help me get rid of headaches in the past!
What's your favourite self-care activity? Do you think you'll try any of these in the future? Let me know! :)
Thanks for visiting! xx